Oct 5, 2010

Anti-lock brakes on motorcyles?

Study on motorcycle anti-lock brakes declared "junk science"

I read through this article and at first I actually was so shocked that I had to go back and read it for it's content.  I learned hard to control my bike through a skid, and that should be, in my opinion, on the list of things that bikers should practice on a regular basis.

We all have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to riding so my first advice to anyone I meet who has just begun riding is to go to a deserted parking lot and practice, practice, practice.  Put yourself in situations that you might hit in real life on your own bike.  Get a feel for how you and it reacts.  Practice stopping quickly (even to a skid point), fast stops during turns, anything else that feels like you aren't quite comfortable.  Frankly, every rider can benefit from practice since most of us avoid accidents not because people around us do things, but because we react quickly.  My own personal boogie man is U-turns.  Now that we live in California where they are every where I have gone to a parking lot a couple of times and forced myself into tight figure eights using parking lines until I was sweating and cursing.  But I get better each  time.

Ok, so my lecture mode off, I am appalled by this article.  I was not aware that they were even considering putting anti-lock brakes on bikes.  I would much rather learn to control the skid and be able to stop as quickly as I need to, then have the bike take more time (and thus distance) to stop outside of my control.    The thought of not being in control of how quickly my bike reacts to my own actions and decisions just makes me want to hurl.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your mark here.